Monday, August 20, 2007

Movie night, or, What to Watch While Knitting

Last weekend, The Man rented three movie, which we then failed to watch over that weekend. The evenings of this past week being entirely occupied by performances on Parliament Hill, it wasn't until Friday evening that the opportunity to watch any of them presented itself.

The first I watched was The Devil Wears Prada. I had heard that it was great, and I think the hype ruined it a little for me. I was a little disappointed. That said, I did enjoy it, and I thought that Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci were incredibly enjoyable. And the girl who plays Emily, while a horrible character, did a fantastic job. And I think watching so many lovely garments marching across the screen for an hour and a half has had an effect on me. I made a point of actually drying my hair this morning and wearing good shoes, rather than the little - granted, adorable - leather ballet flats that I have been absolutely living in for the past three months.

The second was Stranger than Fiction starring Will Farrell, Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman and Maggie Gyllenhaal, with Queen Latifah. It was good. It was weird, but it was, undoubtedly, very good. The Man isn't so sure, but I am. It was nifty, unexpected, and thought-filled. The characters were cute but not cutesy, thoughtful without being self-obsessed. And Emma Thompson, as usual, was brilliant. Seriously. This woman should be an Member of the OBE. Someone tell Queen E.

The third movie was an independant British pic, called 24 Hour Party People. It was a past-tense documentary-style film about Factory records and the rise of the Manchester music scene in the very late '70's and through the '80's and '90's beginning with Joy Division and on through Happy Mondays and the birth of rave culture. It was very well done, quite tongue-in-cheek and thoroughly enjoyable. And totally littered with obscenities, as it should be.

The shoulder shrug is almost done. I'm so close!!! I was able to try it on yesterday, and it looks pretty good. I'm hoping some funnyness will block out. It's really teeny! I think it'll be sweet with a tank or a little dress, though. Hopefully, it works out. And my lace scarf needs tinking. There are 16 stitches in every pattern repeat, and currently one of those repeats is sporting only 15. Where did the other one go? Who knows; I don't. So there will be tinking at lunch. And yes, I do have lifelines, so if it comes to that, we'll be alright.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:18 PM

    Perfect time to watch 24HrPP-- the head of Factory Records just died.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...