Friday, June 26, 2009

Providence and Acts of Grace

It may seem trite, but his week has truly been an exercise in living in grace and appreciating blessings.

This fire was massive. It burned for hours before it was discovered, and by then, it was in the small hours of the morning, when we were all deeply asleep. More than a third of the row of units were gutted, the roof over them entirely consumed. Despite that, no one was hurt. Even all the pets in the row escaped.

Somehow, with all the destruction, even in the very next unit, our contents are largely unharmed. We will be able to retrieve essentially everything.

As I wrote yesterday, we've learned that only licensed contractors can retrieve the contents of the house. What I learned only two weeks ago is that my cousin Greg has recently gotten a job working for just such a company. You can call it a coincidence. I call it a blessing. I call it an act of grace. Even though we can not be in there, insuring everything is packed up, that everything we want to save is retrieved, he will be there, looking out for us.

I have a childhood toy, my "lovey" if you will. His name is Bunny. He is, at this point, little more than a rag. To anyone else, he would look like nothing special or important, or even worth keeping. It would be difficult to describe him to be certain that he was found and packed up with the rest of our possessions. But I know that Greg will remember Bunny; he had a bunny just like it. I know that I can tell Greg that Bunny is in there, somewhere in our bedroom, and that he will find Bunny, and bring him out to me. It's just a small childhood toy, but I slept with that rabbit every night until past adolescence, and I don't like the idea of simply abandoning him.

Bad things happen. But my cousin got this job at this time with this company.

I call that Grace.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you have your cousin to look out for you. I'm glad that no one was hurt physically.

    I'm happy that you are finding grace in this situation. It's not an easy one, is it? But you are handling this with grace too.

    I'm thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call it cosmic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything happens for a reason. (We don't have to like the process, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omni Sea Ant6:33 PM

    There must be some very special plans in store for you, to have you go through such monumental change. Remember, as you obviously do, that the will will lead where the grace will keep you... you are already on your perfect path, steep though it may seem right now.

    Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...