Monday, August 24, 2009

It's unbelievable, I know.

Today's post is about - *gasp!* - knitting.  I'll give you a moment to recover from the shock.

::
::
Better? Ok.  So, after we lost the house in the fire, we were the recipients of some incredibly generous, considerate and helpful acts of kindness. One package we received, however, wasn't so much something necessary as it was...really awesome.  Kashmir Knitter bestowed upon me a cone of Colourmart Cashmere Cotton lace weight.
Wow.  For a few weeks, the cone sat on a shelf in the living room.  I'd look at it.  Occasionally I'd pet it.  I just didn't know what to do with such wonderful yarn!  It's this heathered charcoal grey, delightfully soft and beautifully fine.  I wanted to be sure I'd make the best possible use out of the yardage, as well.
Many, many (and did I mention many?) Ravelry searches later, I determined that the yardage of that single cone was more than enough to make a small cardigan with lots to spare.  So I've decided to knit up the spare first, as it were.  Hence, Laminaria.
Laminaria I

It won't be much to look at until it's blocked, but it's such a lovely knit.  The pattern is never boring, but also quickly memorized.  I am really, really enjoying it.  Every night, I take Peanut to bed, nurse her to sleep, and on those nights when she's co-operative and sleeps soundly right away, I sit back up, turn on a dvd, and knit my shawl.  She's never been a particularly deep or sound sleeper (she's like her mother that way) and tends to need a little maintenance to keep her sleeping, which is why I stay in the room most evenings (so long as she never wakes all the way back up, I never have to try to get her all the way back to sleep).  Also, The Man has been busy most evenings on work in the living room.

I'm about two-thirds of the way finished the shawl.  Give me another two weeks or so, and I should have my very first finished and blocked piece of lace to show you!

1 comment:

  1. Wait, not a sound sleeper??? I watched that video of you doing that amazing baby dance where she was sound asleep on your back as you wrapped her up! That was insane!! Mooch would have been up in a second! LOL!

    Can't wait to see the lace blocked. Lace makes the best before and after pics.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...