Wednesday, October 12, 2011

An autumn afternoon at the arboretum

A friend recently posted a photo on Facebook of the green, vibrant campus of a Florida university. "When I see pictures of Florida," I commented, "I think, 'I live in Ottawa because...?'" Summer is decidedly over, here. Some days, though, remind me why we enjoy life here.

We took an outing yesterday afternoon. An honest-to-goodness, physically active and educational outing. Ottawa has an urban farm, the Central Experimental Farm, and it includes a sizeable arboretum. It's 26 hectares, which is about 64 acres making it around 1/13th the size of New York's Central Park, but it's large enough to be quiet and calm and get a good stretch of the legs.

Autumn in Ottawa being what it is, it was a gorgeous afternoon. The fall foliage was colourful but still mostly in the tree-tops, but the unseasonably warm weather made it a perfect day for running around outside.

We watched mallards on Dow's Lake.




collage 1


We walked. We ran. We followed some dogs around. We climbed on large rocks.




collage 2

We enjoyed the sunshine.

Bubby was there, too, of course.

mommy and scarlet

Before we left, she needed a nurse. 

nursing

I asked Peanut where we should sit. "Which tree should we sit under?" I asked her. 

"Under the yellow tree." Hickory it was.

hickory tree

I love this city. And I love my girls.

glynis portrait

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...